Black Mold Health Risk for Infants

If you have a black mold problem in your south Jersey home, you could be putting your infant at risk.

Black mold is a highly toxic fungus that colonizes in areas that are prone to flooding or water damage. New home buyers should take extra precautions because inspectors may miss identifying signs of this dangerous fungus.

Here are some reasons why you should consult a professional on how to rid this hazard from your home.

Children at a young age are particularly susceptible to infections caused by over exposure to the air-borne Stachybotrys mold spores. During the mid-1990’s, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) reported 45 cases of pulmonary hemorrhage that had occurred in infants in Cleveland, Ohio. This resulted in 16 fatalities. This is an alarming statistic since the EPA does not have any guidelines regarding exposure levels.

Pulmonary problems, which are closely related to asthma, are normally first to occur. Some symptoms of this problem may include: a persistent dry cough, nasal and sinus congestion, itchy eyes, watery eyes, bouts of fatigue, inflammation of the skin, aches, pains, and a possibility of fever.

In some cases it can affect the central nervous system, creating severe headaches, memory complications, and mood swings. Another serious ailment common is diarrhea. With extreme cases of diarrhea your infant may become dehydrated bringing forth other complications such as seizures.

Even though these troublesome fungi can be seen by the naked eye, not all mold is black mold. Only a qualified, experienced individual can test and evaluate a form of mold to see which kind it is. He or she can recommend the appropriate steps to safely eliminate black mold from your house.

It is never wise to handle this problem on your own with bleach, due to the fact that bleach is composed of 99% water. The water will only fuel future growth of these spores, especially on non-porous surfaces, such as grout, drywall and painted areas.

Rather than putting your family at risk, you should consult with a professional such as TermiGuard’s South Jersey Mold Treatment Company to keep you and your family safe from harm.

Speak Your Mind

Tell us what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!